Friday, September 11, 2009

big and small, close and far


i haven't been one to post on september 11th, as the tone of the blog is not congruent with my feelings on the day.

but, every year i re-read my journal entries from that time and later added re-reading bits of Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - one of my favorite books. it's one in which september 11th features heavily, as our protagonist oskar lost his dad in the twin towers. a few excerpts that remind me exactly of that day...

It really is beautiful weather.
Yeah.
I can't remember more beautiful weather than this.
That's true.
It's a shame to be inside.
I guess so.
But here we are...

On my walk home I stopped in front of an electronics store, the front window was a grid of televisions, all but one of them were showing the buildings, the same images over and over as if the world itself were repeating, a crowd had gathered on the sidewalk...

The world is so big and small, in the same moment we are close and far.

No comments: