Saturday, December 6, 2008

table topic #23 - interactive!


thanks to faithful reader yr. fav. librarian for suggesting this table topic - our first interactive, one! this will require a little work on everyone's part. it's called the "nearest book meme" (what a great word meme):

23. Here are the instructions:
*Get the book nearest you to. Right now. 
*Go to page 56. 
*Find the 5th sentence. 
*Write that sentence here in the comments (as adapted for this table topic). 
*Don't look for your favorite book or your coolest, but really the nearest.

here's mine:

"A gracefully time-worn mirror and round coffee table (an excellent foil for a boxy seating area) introduce some history and patina to the modern mix." 

from domino: the book of decorating. actually, i really need this sentence. i've got a nice patina mirror in my living room at the moment, but my black, rectangular coffee table is really sucking the life out of the space, particularly given the boxy seating arrangement i have. round you say? 

fun. i've already seen this pop up in a facebook status. will be very interested to see what everyone comes up with! 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I believe it underlies a valid and fundamental type of moral judgement- which cannot be reduced to or overidden by other principles."

Mortal Questions by Thomas Nagel, from the chapter "War and Massacre". And umm, I think I only got through the first chapter in this book..which was entitled "Death".

It was also the second book closest to me, the closest book was something I bought in CVS and the sentence was "Apply an Exfoliating Mask".. ;)

sally said...

"And as for the Grandfathers and the god anchors, he hadn't seen them at all."

*Nation* by Terry Pratchett. Yep, it's a book written for teens. I'm not ashamed. I heart teen lit.

This book is actually pretty freakin' great so far. Very exciting. I'm only on page 49, though.

Thank goodness I didn't read this question while I was at home. I have terrible trashy books next to my computer.

Thanks for using this idea!

bizarro gnome said...

excellent lines, ladies.

JS - your book sounds like quite the downer.

YFL - i'm intrigued by the "terrible trash books next to [your] computer"!

Anonymous said...

"Son Arnaud looks for more elegance."

From Hugh Johnson's pocket wine book 2009.

And if you think that one was good - you should hear the 6th sentence!
"try new, successful - FIXIN."

I have no idea what that means, but they said FIXIN. In print. In a snotty wine book. awesome.

Perhaps my books and your other readers' books should get together. At least the contents of mine will liven things up!!

whatevs said...

"it was rising in a straight line as opposed to an arc, with small zigzag corrections, then a distinct turn as it locked on."

from night fall, by nelson demille